[Book Review] Bloodshifted

Bloodshifted / Cassie Alexander

Trouble just seems to find Edie Spence, and once it does she's not so good at backing away.  Though to be honest, her current situation as bonded day-timer to the vampire Raven was not exactly of her doing (and is the only reason she is still alive).  Now she has to stay alive, and in one piece, in the dog-eat-dog world of Raven's lair.  Raven saved her as a political favor, but has his own deadly game in play.  And Edie not only has to worry about her own life, she's carrying one with her as well.


I like the world of Edie Spence that I first met in Nightshifted.  Up until now she's largely been basically a normal person with bad luck, an over developed need to care for people, and just happens to work as a nurse for the paranormal.  She doesn't always make the right choices, and her judgement at times is certainly suspect, but people are like that. 

Unfortunately, in this go-around I just didn't really enjoy the novel as much as the others.  I've read the first three novels, Nightshifted, Moonshifted, and Shapeshifted, and then accidentally skipped over book four, Deadshifted.  I don't know if there was a personality shift in Deadshifted, or if the factors of the situation magnified Edie's behavior in ways that just didn't appeal to me.  Maybe I just don't like the ways in which Edie is changing?  She is literally on the edge of losing her humanity, and I'm not sure how I feel about her becoming paranormal.

What I did enjoy in Bloodshifted were some of the supporting characters, in particular, the Shadows.  The sociopath phage entity (entities?) gets a chance to figuratively shine.

Overall, Bloodshifted made for a relatively quick read, though perhaps dark enough that I'm hesitant to call it "light" reading.

Advanced Reader Copy copy courtesy of NetGalley; differences may exist between uncorrected galley text and the final edition.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

[Book Review] Battle of the Linguist Mages

[Book Review] When Sorrows Come

[Book Review] You Sexy Thing