Link Smorgasbord, April 2014

Transgender Children in Antebellum America
An online exhibit exploring the gender roles and expressions in a series of stories aimed at children in antebellum America.

Why No One Trusts Facebook To Power The Future
To be honest, a number of these reasons are similar to why I don't trust a number of companies to 'power the future.'

Amazon.com to Acquire comiXology
So I have no doubt that this will benefit both Amazon and comiXology.  It still makes me wince uncomfortably, and not only because I liked what comiXology was doing as an independent company.

Policies that keep people from visiting their local library
After reading this and noticing a comment on the post in defense of association libraries and questioning some of the policies mentioned, I went and looked at the source myself.  While I think it is definitely important to question of policies are barriers to access, this article seems to have some unfounded accusations.  In particular I can find no evidence on the source page that physical library access is barred to patrons who lack a Delaware ID or library card, and has explicit policies for how one can use the computers as an out-of-state resident and get your own library card (including situations where the out-of-state annual library card fee may be waived).  The barring of meetings for religious purpose is actually quite common in libraries, just as libraries may have restrictions on political use of their space, the idea being to avoid using tax money in support of a specific religion or candidate.

What You Need To Know About Heartbleed, A Really Major Bug That Short-Circuits Web Security
I hope by now you're aware of Heartbleed, but just in case, throwing a link here.  Additionally, you can always go to http://heartbleed.com/ for the full details.

Copy-Me
Some amazing resources on copyright here, as well as a great way to learn more about the various issues on a global scale.

Take Free Online Courses at Hogwarts: Charms, Potions, Defense Against the Dark Arts & More
:D
www.hogwartsishere.com

The Kitchen Library
A non-profit organization that lends out kitchen tools and equipment in Canada.  If it was closer I'd totally consider buying a membership.

Neil Gaiman's acclaimed comic book 'Sandman' returns after 25 years
Sandman is what got me into comics, I am tentatively very very excited about the potential film.  Also, I am super excited about the upcoming publication of "How the Marquis Got His Coat Back" in September.

You Love The Cloud, But It May Not Be As Secure As You Think
Not, as you might think from the title, about the risks of your data being hacked and stolen, but instead on the risks of relying on online storage for your files.

Confronting the Myth of the 'Digital Native'
I think this is fantastic.  Many people who spend time with me have heard me rant about the assumption of knowledge and skill with technology based on age.  It is not beneficial to anyone to assume competency and understanding of technology based on high use of a very limited area.

Hack for Western Mass
This is a local event for the National Day of Civic Hacking.  Provided work does not interfere I'll be there along with some other fantastic people in the area.  I missed out on the National Day of Civic Hacking last year, looking forwards to taking part this year.

Why I Love Hating QR Codes
An intelligent and informative discussion of someone's issues with QR codes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

[Book Review] Battle of the Linguist Mages

[Book Review] When Sorrows Come

[Book Review] You Sexy Thing