[Book Review] Golden Son

Golden Son / Pierce Brown (Powell's Books)

Coming soon, to a bookshelf near you... ROMANS IN SPAAAAAACE!

(Actually, it's already out.  My bad)

If you read Red Rising, Golden Son follows in its predecessor's expected footsteps  A book that draws influence from bestsellers like The Hunger Games, Ender's Game, Game of Thrones and probably some other book with the word "game" in its title.  A bit more Gladiator than Spartacus this time around, more plots within plots, and more untimely yet inevitable betrayal.  Don't get me wrong, if you really liked Red Rising, I highly recommend Golden Son.  It's a rollicking near-space opera with dastardly villains, stalwart companions, and traitorous friends.  We have painful revelations and machinations within machinations.

Darrow's work for the Sons of Ares has run afoul due to political power-plays and a disregard for lower-caste life.  Disgraced, Darrow must forge an alliance with a once enemy to reclaim his position of power and continue his mission.  Needing the help and trust of his friends more than ever, can he reveal his true origin and keep them still?

For many readers this should make for a riveting read, for me it sort of skirted the target for me and went a little too far after.  A little overdone, a little too much pretention.  But again, I really want to state, that I think this is more of an issue of me as the reader, as I can easily see this being a highly enjoyed novel

Advanced Reader Copy copy courtesy of Netgalley; differences may exist between uncorrected galley text and the final edition.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

[Book Review] Battle of the Linguist Mages

[Book Review] When Sorrows Come

[Book Review] You Sexy Thing