[Book Review] Dhalgren

Dhalgren / Samuel R. Delany

This was the September book club pick.  The first thing that struck me was that the writing was far more lyrical than I expected.  The narrative twines through the city and an examination of writing itself, while experiencing almost a dissociation from time and the main character itself.  It's definitely a book I think my enjoyment of depends a lot on my state of mind, as does what I take away from it.  I'm truly not sure what I think of it.

Discussion Fodder:
  • What is happening in this story?
  • How does author talk about race, gender, and sexuality?
  • Do the decades since publication change the impact and context of the book?
  • How does Delany make use of (or subvert) literary traditions and narrative cycles?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

[Book Review] Battle of the Linguist Mages

[Book Review] When Sorrows Come

[Book Review] You Sexy Thing