Link Smorgasbord, November 25 - December 1

Goldieblox and the Three MCs
Probably the best write up I've seen so far on the Goldiebox/Beastie Boys issue, in particular addressing some of the rumors surrounding the issue.  TL;DR - copyright law is a bloody mess and the determination of "fair use" is not cut and dried.

NSA Planned To Discredit Radicals Based On Web-Browsing Habits
Because in this day and age not being hetero-normative still can be held against you, or, as was proven earlier this year, searching for a backpack and a pressure cooker.

Creative Commons Launches Version 4.0 of Its Licenses
Cool stuff for those who are intersted.
http://creativecommons.org/

Library to Hold Black Friday Sale
I totally love this idea and it is likely we will be doing something like this next year at my library.  I'd love to be busier at the library on the day after Thanksgiving; usually it is so slow that I wonder why I didn't use a vacation day.  I also strongly feel that my library could benefit from more community publicity and engagement.  We're a gorgeous library that patrons can borrow from or use for internet access, but like most libraries we are also so much more.

Young adult readers 'prefer printed to ebooks'
Not sure if the sample is really representative of the age group, but as someone who is under 30 and has been reading content on computers for at least 20 years, I still find printed books far easier to read and process.

6 Things To Keep In Mind While Shopping On Amazon Black Friday
I hadn't realized exactly how HUGE Amazon complexes are.

Total misfire: brands like CoverGirl and Subway miss point of Hunger Games
A great read.

Mainstream YA Article Bingo: A Response To Laura C. Mallonee
This is a fantastic article about attitudes towards Young Adult fiction, and in many ways about the overall disparagement of Science Fiction and Fantasy.

6 Reasons The Guy Who's Fixing Your Computer Hates You
Yeah... fortunately for all that I'm basically a professional friend who's good with computers, I know lots of people even better with computers than I am.  I still love these lists, because they resonate and make me laugh.

Out of Print, Maybe, but Not Out of Mind
"Books are dead. Long live the book."
 On attempts to discover and achieve transformation of the reading experience.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

[Book Review] Battle of the Linguist Mages

[Book Review] When Sorrows Come

[Book Review] You Sexy Thing